Sunday, July 8, 2012

Camp NaNo 2012... failed??

So, June is over. Did I fail at Camp NaNo?

Well, that depends on how you look at it. I didn't manage to get 50,000 words written in a month. Work was crazy, various things intervened, insert the usual excuses here.

That said, I wouldn't say I failed. I did manage to get at least a handful of words written almost every day. For me, this is a big improvement.
I tend to just dive into something, and revel in staying in it as long as I can without coming up for air. Like swimming, when I do come up, I spend a lot of time just trying to catch my breath, then I want to do something else for a while before diving back in again.
I do this in a lot of areas, not just writing. I tend to bounce from hobby to hobby that way too, and I'm left with a lot of projects that are half finished. They all eventually get done, they just get set aside for a while until my interest swings back around to them.

So that's something I got from NaNo this time. Consistency. Getting a little bit done every day is better than getting a lot done once a month. I'm going to try to learn from this, and get a little bit of writing done every day until something's finished.

Right now, I have four writing projects I'm working on. Two of them are done (one of those hasn't been edited at all) and two are still in draft. I'm going to do my best to finish the six draft of A New Threat and get it to my critique group this July. I'm also going to try to write a little bit each day on Wings of Truth (working title) until the draft is done. Then, edit Threat From the Past, then finish An Unwanted Apprentice, and THEN I'll let myself work on book three of the Psygen Chronicles (The Stones of Xernock) oh, that one's going to be fun to write....

1 comment:

  1. I do this in a lot of areas, not just writing. I tend to bounce from hobby to hobby that way too, and I'm left with a lot of projects that are half finished.

    That happens to me all the time, only I usually don't finish most of the projects that I begin. If yours do eventually get done, then I would say your method is as efficient and effective as any.

    Anyways, congratulations on devising a pace for your work; I hope you can keep. I want to read your books some day! ;)

    ReplyDelete